Lunaya Pravda

05 July 2006

Adams on flag burning

Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert, has nicely summed up his thoughts (and mine) on the concept of flag burning.

But symbols are personal things, and everyone is free to interpret them however they see fit. For me, a flag that I’m NOT allowed to burn is a symbol that the government is too intrusive in my life. And it’s an insult to anyone who died to defend freedom. But that’s just me. You might prefer your symbols of freedom to have as many restrictions as possible.

It seems to me that the great thing about the flag is that it symbolizes something inherently indestructible: the concept of freedom. You can burn the flag as many times as you want and the concept of freedom is not only still there – it’s stronger.

(emphasis mine, props to the Bonehead of the Day for the find)

Labels: ,