Lunaya Pravda

27 March 2006

What's in a name?

So today I received a sorority alumnae newsletter for my local collegiate chapter here in Seattle.

Okay, okay, wait - let's get the sorority thing out of the way, because whenever I bring this up, the reaction is usually something like this: "YOU were in a sorority?!?!" (accompanied by skeptical and shocked looks). Yes, I joined. Yes, I stayed in all four years, and yes, I enjoyed it. But in my defense, I attended a university where the only majors are engineering and science and only a quarter of its undergraduate population was female. Our dues were low, we didn't have chaparones at events, we didn't have a house mother, and there was no requirement to live in the house because when I was there, our house held only 10 people. Women at my college were just different, and I don't think most of them would have even considered joining on another campus.

Anyway, as I was saying, I received the local chapter's newsletter today, and two of their new members' first names stood out at me. "L'Oreal" and "Winkie". What kind of sadistic parents would name their kids after a cosmetics line and a euphamism for penis?

I realize parents want to give their children interesting, unique, creative names. But sometimes they've gone too far.

Labels: